Here are some questions people often ask of us. If you don’t see your question here, please feel free to call us at (518) 584-4200.

Q: Do I need to buy insurance from the rental car company when I rent a private passenger motor vehicle?

A: No. Your New York State insurance policy will cover you within the continental United States and/or its territories to a maximum of 30 consecutive days. If you will be renting a moving truck, you will need to purchase the rental truck insurance from the rental agency. Contact us to discuss coverage options for your personal property and belongings that are being transported.

Q: What are my payment options?

A: There are several payment options available to you.

  • Credit card payments are available for the majority of the insurance companies we represent
  • One time checking withdrawal is available through your specific company’s website or by contacting their customer service number – (small fee may apply)
  • Electronic Funds Transfers (EFT) – You can have your checking or savings account automatically debited when your payment is due. Contact us for help

See the “Make a Payment” page on this web site for further information.

Q: What is the law enforcement fee?

A: NY State requires insurance companies to collect $5.00 for every vehicle on a six-month policy and $10.00 for each vehicle on a yearly policy. This amount is added to your first installment bill. Your policy is also charged these amounts when you add or make a car change.

Q: Why am I not receiving an accident forgiveness credit?

A: Each insurance company we represent has its own guidelines before you can become eligible to receive this credit. Many companies do not offer the credit. If you are not receiving this discount, please do not feel you are paying too much. Each company starts out with different rates and offers its own unique discounts. Contact our office to see if there are company and discount package options that may offer you a lower premium.

Q: What is the best way to plan for the possibility that my spouse would pass away?

A: Contact us and we can address your concerns, discuss such things as what costs might be associated with a death, what debts you might need to eliminate, how much income you might need and for how long. Then we can devise an insurance or financial plan to help meet those requirements should the death of a spouse occur.

Q: What is no-fault coverage?

A: No-fault coverage is mandated by NY State and is your Personal Injury Protection coverage. This coverage will provide for the payment of your medical bills, rehabilitation, work-loss and death benefits should you be in an automobile accident. Your coverage and benefits are the same, no matter who is at fault in the accident. No coverage is provided for physical damage to your automobile. Collision and Other than Collision coverage provides physical damage coverage.

Q: What do I do if I have water in my basement or property damage to my house?

A: After contacting your insurance company or us, you can contact a local restoration service company who can provide you with an estimate of the repairs. Your insurance company may also have a claims adjuster review the damage to confirm the estimate for repairs. Depending on your insurance company, you may be issued a check in advance to pay for the repairs, less your deductible, or you may need to submit your repair bills to the insurance company for them to pay, less your deductible.